Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Unknown.... the Interesting... the One.. the Only. Nathaniel Hawthorne.

     Well, an interesting fact I found was that I could find how a family [3 generations of 1] owned the house, built in 1668. The Turner family before they sold it to a Captain Ingersoll, who gave it to his daughter, who's cousin is *surprised gasp * Nathaniel Hawthorne. So.. I've heard this book [House of 7 Gables] is non-fiction... so it may be... if he changed the names... yet I'm unsure. Also, due to him losing his father [also a Nathaniel Hawthorne] at age 5 due to a voyage he went on, him. his mother, and 2 other siblings had little wealth and had to move in with their family, the Mannings. Due to this, as an adult he found a 'literary outlet' for his childhood experiences.
     Now, some info on Salem [BwaHaHaaaaaaaa 3=)}  ]. I knew the witch trials existed and that they were as bad as books made them out to be.. yet reading 'The Crucible' [past book] I thought thru-out the reading "I could never falsely call out somebody.. especially to possible death!!". Yet, all these female, my age, a lil older and a lil younger... and some a lot younger [4ish] were doing just that, and only one felt enough remorse to try to get everyone out of it... sigh. I found out this story was true. John Proctor, Elizabeth Proctor, their boys, Goody Nurse, Goody Good, Mr & Mrs Giles, Abigal.. they all existed, and this happened [excluding the affair b/tween Mr Proctor and Abigal Williams, which then confuses me a lil cause' it's partiaclly a main (oxymoron-ish xD) reason why these trials happened as they did with such force and such turns even happened] but yea.
     So, to me, these were some interesting facts I found.
    

2 comments:

  1. I had the same thought about the untrueness of the affair. Why do you think Arthur Miller made this the reason for the witch trials if it never happened? That's what I was wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he probably just thought it would make for a more interesting story. I think maybe he needed a reason for Abigail to be so unjust to Elizabeth Proctor? Otherwise it might have seemed strange. I think it was a good move, though, adding it in. It really made the whole question of John Proctor Hero or Stooge? You know? It shows you that even the most strong, sensible, admirable people make mistakes.

    ReplyDelete